found out that is is much more involved than you though?
Well with the Super 3D dungeon boards Kickstarter it has definitely been that! We are coming up to the end of it with the last few painted boards shipping out soon.
I plan on putting together a more thorough post with some costs break downs to give everyone an idea of how everything went.
Qucickly though here is a fun picture with some minis while I had 18 or so painted boards together in a group :)
I know everyone is chomping at the bit for pictures and updates!!
Here they are! :)
Boards are coming along nicely and packaging is on its way.
I am on schedule currently for the unpainted boards to be shipped the end of this month.
Please add any final add-ons through BackerKit that you may want to. I will be locking the BackerKit add-on this Saturday the 13th.
All the bottles showed up a few weeks ago and are getting filled with colored goodness.
Here are the pictures of all the sample painted boards and a big ol' pile of bottles. :)
The Kickstarted ends Jan. 29th 10 am. PST so if you are interested or know some one that might be now is the time!
Finished painting Tile #3 and thought I would share it with everyone :)
Here is a high rez version of the tile, with just the edge cleaned up after taking it out of the mold and the pillars set on it. In this picture the tile has not been laminated to the wood backing yet.
We are coming up on just over two days left!
I put up the add-on for the resin bases for miniatures. As a $15k stretch goal one set of these will be included for free with any pledge over $100!
We received the vacuum chamber from the metal fab shop and have started to make some of the larger molds.
Picture of the glove mold being made of one of the board tiles. Multi-layer glove molds take a few days to make. Hopefully I can have a board cast and painted before the end of the KS, but these things take time and we are moving into molds for final production on all the tiles.
Picture of the mold for the flat tile board.
A cast resin flat board and one with a little paint on it.
Here are the pictures of the final boards! Board tile #6 still has some parts being made for it but the pictures will show you exactly what it will end up looking like. I've also made #6 much more functional and interesting, turning the corners into rooms instead of blocked off solid stone.
I've also made a material change. While working with the various materials I realized that most, if not all, of the industrial foams you can get now take many hours to dry. So I switched the interior to a resin/micro-bubble slurry. This works out better though because it will be MUCH stronger than any foam filler and will simplify production.
Typically with resin you need to wash the parts before you paint them. If you are receiving unpainted tiles they will already be washed. After they are washed and dried they are laminated to the wood boards. The whole point of the wood backing is to provide a structure that is not heat susceptible. The last thing you want are boards looking like potato chips when you get them out of a hot car! You will still need to wash the smaller parts that will be attached to the board tiles.
I also added a loot pile add-on.
Next up is making molds of the final boards and getting some painted versions up for everyone to see.
Thank you to everyone that has backed this project and that may be thinking about it!
The final boards are almost completed. The columns in these pictures are just temporary as the final ones are being constructed and will have much more detail and weathering. I am finishing up the treasure piles, wall sconces, and other small details for the boards, and will have pictures of the completed boards up soon. I just wanted to share these.
As you can see the walls, floor and "lava" have much more detail and texture than the prototype boards. These will be impressive indeed once painted!
Spent most of the weekend casting lots of floor tiles and working on the larger stone walls.
The flat board is all glued down. Once it is dry I will add texture to the gaps between the tiles then it is ready to make a master!
Here are more pictures of the pile o' parts: large walls and floor cobbles for the raised areas. The walls will still be getting additional details, such as moss, mushrooms, and the like.
The floor tiles and wall bricks are all sculpted! The walls and floors are in a mold right now that takes a day to cure. Once those are out, I will start casting up parts for the final boards, and I'll put up more pictures.
There is also some talk of doing a Kingdom Death Board. Not sure yet if it will be official or just compatible. So we also have that to possibly look forward to!
Thank you to everyone that has backed this project or is thinking about it.
Have a great weekend!
Well my Kickstarter for the Super 3D dungeon boards is moving along nicely :)
I have over $4k in funding in under 24 hours. So check it out, join the fun and tell your friends!
It is a great way to support your friendly neiborhood painter!
My Kickstarter for Super 3D Dungeon Boards just went up! They are compatible with Super Dungeon Explore or any other minis/RPG game that uses dungeons.
Check it out and lend me your support if you can to make this dream come true!
As this project moves along I will have updates here too.